Expert and Senior Environmental Consultants: Hydrogen
- Full time (associate contract options also available)
- Location – office based in Orkney, remote working in the UK or internationally, hybrid working or access to shared office space in other locations where available
- Salary – competitive salary based on experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience (Senior Consultant) or 10 years’ experience (Expert Consultant)
Aquatera’s aim is simple – to use our integrated capacity and resources to encourage and deliver sustainable development of the world’s communities and resources whilst appropriately safeguarding its ecosystems, associated biodiversity, and cultural heritage.
We work every day to help support our global community to achieve the three pillars of sustainable development: economic growth, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability; and to meet the objectives set out in the United Nations 2030 Agenda Sustainable Development Goals.
We are growing our team of professionals and are looking for experienced, creative, visionary people to join our unique team of talent. Aquatera is not your average consultancy and working with us will not be your average job. We are a nimble, friendly, community-oriented company based in Orkney. We take on ambitious, pioneering, complex projects all over the world. Orkney is renowned as a global hub for innovation in renewable energy, hydrogen production, hydrogen storage, low carbon planning, and marine services and operations. Aquatera was born out of this dynamic environment and has been working at its heart for over 20 years, attracting a team of talented staff and associates from around the world.
We develop enduring relationships with our clients, who range from community organisations and developers to global companies and governments, often supporting them over many years. Our ability to forge and maintain robust relationships that last through long, complex projects is as vital as our technical expertise. Collaboration is key to how we operate. As well as taking a lead in projects, our team takes an active role in supporting all elements of the business. Our culture is supportive, hard-working and creative.
If our culture, mission and work inspire you and you feel you have the experience we need then please get in touch. We are based in Orkney, but remote working is also an option and we have staff based around the world.
This role provides an exciting opportunity to join our dynamic, international team of multidisciplinary experts who are collectively striving to help support the development of the green hydrogen sector, whilst at all times promoting the three key pillars of sustainable development; economic growth, social inclusion and sustainable development. The role will provide you with an opportunity to get involved in a wide range of projects and activities, including, but not limited to:
- Supporting our role in several hydrogen development projects within the UK and internationally
- Providing technical and strategic input into early-stage project development activities, including design and site selection, feasibility studies and later stage activities linked to hydrogen
- Providing strategic advisory services to government agencies, communities and other stakeholders in the UK and internationally, particularly on the sustainable development of the green hydrogen sector
- Supporting existing strategic programmes helping design, deliver and prioritise research and innovation activities in support of the development of hydrogen storage and renewable energy sectors in the UK and internationally. For example, Aquatera has been developing a project to support a hydrogen test centre within Orkney
- General business development, industry outreach, engagement with other stakeholders, communities and academia
- Occasional travel to conferences, events, workshops and for other project-related activities (UK and internationally)
- Opportunities to provide hydrogen-related support to Aquatera’s ongoing and future research and innovation projects, often in collaboration with our European and international partners
- Opportunities to provide support to projects in other sectors, for example aquaculture, offshore renewables, infrastructure, biodiversity and heritage management
- Opportunities to take on (and develop) roles in project management, capacity building, training and community engagement
- Masters degree (or equivalent) in environmental science or another relevant science or technical subject
- Minimum of 5 years (Senior Consultant role) or 10 years (Expert Consultant role) experience in hydrogen-related activities, including technical and or policy and guidance development or other relevant working experience in the energy systems and hydrogen sector.
- Excellent written communication and reporting skills.
It would also be beneficial to have:
- Experience in providing strategic technical or strategic support to government, industry and other stakeholders, or engagement in relevant strategic programmes/initiatives
- Experience in providing project level support to renewable energy and infrastructure developers
- Specific experience in working on marine renewable energy projects (tidal, wave, floating solar etc)
- An excellent working knowledge of the renewable energy sector in the UK along with a working knowledge of the international sector
Benefits of working for Aquatera:
- Flexible working
- Full IT support (including equipment, software, access to IT technicians)
- Progressive pay scale
- 30 days starting annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Pension contribution matched by Aquatera
- Opportunities for training and continued professional development
- Opportunities to travel (UK and internationally)
- Opportunities to engage in strategic international programmes and initiatives
Please apply by sending your CV and a comprehensive supporting statement outlining how your skills, knowledge and experience make you a good fit for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: Monday 8th January 2024