|Introduction to the Western Isles|
|The western Isles of Scotland have some of the best wave and wind resources in Northern Europe. The extensive coastline and numerous potential landfalls provide enticing opportunities. The needs for and ways of providing supporting infrastructure such as grid connections, supply bases and ports have still to be fully assessed. There are major manufacturing facilities available at Arnish , near Stronaway, and significant port infrastructure in Stornaway harbour. Earlier in 2009 a major coastal wave project Sidar received planning permission and other offshore wave projects are now coming forward. It is hoped that the islands could soon be the centre of a marine energy leasing round similar to that undertaken around Orkney in mid 2009. The islands are also forging ahead with hydrogen technology and have a number of wind energy schemes approved and in planning. A number of these are community owned.|
|Interactive Map of Selected Aquatera Projects in the Western Isles|
|Key to Map Pins|
= Strategic Planning
= Public and Stakeholder Communications;
= Environmental Assessment and Surveying
= Integrated Renewables Suport
= Multiple project types at one lat/long coordinate (or for a single project: Unassigned project type)
= Partner Organisation
|How to Use|
• Hover over a map pin to view project title.
• Single-click on a map pin to view a brief project overview, with a link to a more detailed project summary.
• Use the [+] and [-] buttons to zoom in and out and the arrow keys to navigate.
(Alternatively, the hand cursor can be used to navigate by 'grab and drag').
• Three view types are available:
- [Map] for Google Map view;
- Satellite] for satellite image;
- [Hybrid] for a combination of Satellite and Google Map.
• We would like to hear your opinions on this page; please e-mail feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Operational Conditions information also available for the following regions:
Aquatera Ltd, Stromness Business Centre, Stromness, Orkney, KW16 3AW, UK
© Aquatera Ltd 2000-2017.